Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What ????

Today I learned some interesting, shocking, and weird news... I suffered a little STROKE. I am only 24 years old! Let me start from the beginning....

I was sitting on our couch 1 week after my car accident, Brandon was taking a nap and I was reading a magazine. I felt a sharp pain and my left arm became weak. The left side of my face began to tingle then went numb. I decided to take a shower, I thought maybe it would help the numbness go away if I was moving around. I was a little dizzy but only for a few minutes. After about an hour I was still numb. I would smile & the left side of my face would not move same with when I talked. My tongue was also numb so I was slurring my words. We had a wedding reception to go to that night and had planned to go to dinner before hand. I decided I felt fine and to continue on with our plans. We went to dinner (I bit my cheek about 3 times when eating). By this time it had been two hours and I was still numb. I was feeling very tired and thought it was from not sleeping my normal 8 hours the night before. We got home I got online and googled "numbness of face." It talked about blood clots and strokes which freaked me out. It said to seek medical attention right away. We went over to the insta-care and the doctor there sent me to the ER. The ER did a cat scan of my brain, did a heart test, blood tests, and a urine test. They could not see anything in the cat scan . They referred me to a Neurologist to have an MRI done since and MRI can see more detail.

I had an MRI done of my brain and spine this morning. The nurse said the doctor would call me some time this week and let me know about the results. 2 hours later my Neurologist called and said that he was reviewing my MRI and that I had suffered a stroke. A stroke so small that I did not know I had it, just felt the symptoms after. Its rare for someone my age to have a stroke, very rare. He then said I needed to have an appointment set up with a heart/stroke specialist right away. I am nervous and kind of scared. I am so grateful that it was not worse.

I have an appointment scheduled for 9:30 tomorrow morning. I am getting a few tests done, to see if we can find the reason why I suffered a stroke. Wish me luck.

Click "Older Posts" to the upper right of this to see MoRe & MoRe & MoRe posts!!